Deadline: April 12, 2018
The U.S. Agency for International Development, the UK Department for International Development, and Grand Challenges Canada are partnering on Creating Hope in Conflict: A Humanitarian Grand Challenge. Aligned with the Grand Bargain to identify, promote, and accelerate groundbreaking local innovations that have the potential to save and significantly improve the lives of people that are affected by conflict.
The innovations must focus on people who are particularly vulnerable in a conflict-affected humanitarian crisis. This includes people who are vulnerable due to their gender, sexuality, religion, age, or income; people with disabilities, chronic health conditions, people who are stateless, minorities, or people who are unable to evacuate.
Awardees of the first call for innovations are eligible for a host of benefits. These benefits include Seed or Transition to Scale Funding, publicity and marketing promotional support, exclusive industry, investor, and partner networking events, solution development acceleration support, mentorship opportunities, and partnership brokering support.
- Seed Funding: We expect to fund approximately 10-15 seed projects. Successful proposals for seed funding will each be awarded grants of up to $250,000 CAD over a maximum of twenty-four (24) months to support the validation and testing of new approaches.
- Transition to Scale Funding: We expect to fund between 2 and 4 Transition-to-Scale projects for up to $1,000,000 CAD with technical support over a maximum of twenty-four (24) months to support the refinement, testing, and implementation of innovative solutions that have already achieved proof of concept.
- Step 1: Create an account through Grand Challenges Canada’s Community Portal*
- Step 2: Submit an application for Seed or Transition to Scale funding
* Once you have created an account, please allow up to one (1) business day for Grand Challenges Canada to process your account request. Therefore, please create an account no later than 9 April 2018. Applicants may return to the Community Portal to continue working on their application at any time until 12 April 2018, 15:30 GMT. For technical support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request for Proposals (English)
Demande de propositions (French)
Solicitud de propuestas (Spanish)
Applicants are encouraged to access Grand Challenge Canada’s online Innovator Toolbox, which contains materials to help researchers and innovators to develop their project proposals and to plan for how their innovation will go to scale, be sustained, and have global impact. For a comprehensive set of gender equality tools to support applicants as they incorporate gender considerations into their applications and innovations, please visit Grand Challenges Canada’s Gender Equality Portal.